I was talking with my mom and I decided that I would spend the next year celebrating as many holidays and occurrences as possible. I think there are around 300 holidays a month!
My mom and I have always loved all the peculiar holidays and have had many laughs discussing them. I think this year will be a lot of fun but it will also require a lot of dedication, time, and it wont be without costs. I will give you once a week up dates once I get it started (Probably next month) and I will post daily journalings as often as possible. I have a feeling I will be rather busy.
I am home schooled which I believe will make this a whole heap easier, but also more challenging. Mom made an agreement with me... For this year I will use this as a lot of my school work. I will be writing reports on many of these days and I will be doing loads of research. I look forward to this coming year and I hope you will enjoy following my blog.
Feel free to post your comments along the way.

Sunday 1 April 2012

Library Snap Shot Day


Here's my first holiday! Now starts my crazy holiday adventure!
For Library Snap Shot Day I went over to interview the librarian at the Milton Mills Free Public Library. The librarian-Betsy-wasn't there so I interviewed Nancy who works there.
Nancy starts her day at the library by unlocking the doors, turning on the lights, and putting out the American flag and the open flag.
she then checks the drop box for books or movies to be returned, and sets the date stamp so the due-date stamped on books taken out is correct.
During her day at the library Nancy will check the bulletin board and make sure everything's up to date. She'll take down everything that may have gone by and put up any new announcements that there may be. She'll also empty the trash can if needed.
When people come into the library Nancy will put a tally mark on a chart so they know how many people are coming into the library and also whether they are children or adults.
I asked Nancy if there seems to be a preference in books. She said that a majority of the people take out fictional books.
There are four computers in the library for any one to use. people have to sign in to use them so that if any one has been waiting to use a computer some one can be "booted off" if they've all ready been on for half an hour. Though Nancy did say that that hardly never happens.
Inter library loans are only done by the librarian. If Betsy's not there some one will leave a note to Betsy asking if she can inter library loan a book or movie for them. When Betsy is able to she'll send out a request and if another library has the book/movie the will send it. When the book/movie arrives Betsy will call the person who requested it to let them know that it's there. If they don't pick it up within a certain time the book/movie will be sent back.
When closing time comes Nancy said she does basically the same thing she did to open-only backwards. The flags come down, the lights are turned off and she makes sure all doors are securely locked before she leaves.
There's a snap shot of a day at our library-that I can walk to in about 3 minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment